Chromium Browser Flash Plugin Problem

No YouTube

After a recent Debian Linux upgrade, Chromium browser would not work on YouTube. I was previously running a pretty old version of Chromium, but it was stable, so I left it. No need to change it if it works.

The upgrade from Squeeze, an old testing, to Jessie, current testing went smoothly with only a couple of minor problems.

Adobe announced it would stop support for Linux Flash plugins, Chromium developers switched from Adobe to the Google Flash plugin. I checked Chromium to see which plugins were installed:

chrome://plugins

Only the PDF plugin was installed.

To fix it, in an xterm logged in as root, I did:

# apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree

next I did:

# update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

Finally, checked which version has installed:

# update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --status

Close all Chromium browser windows and restart Chromium. Flash should work.

Here's the Debian Wiki on PepperFlashPlayer plugin.

Here's the Debian Wiki on Testing.

Here's the Debian Wiki to upgrade using Aptitude.

I did a full dist-upgrade. Its probably safer to do a safe-upgrade.

Done!