Skate Socks And Blisters

Sweaty Feet

When I get home after skating, I'm hot and sweaty. My T-shirt is covered in sweat, same for pants, elbow guard, knee guard, helmet, socks and skate boots.

I remove the insole from my boots, loosen all laces and allow the boot to air-dry. I use kitchen towel to remove any sweat inside the boot, particularly the top-cap. I leave the insoles to dry out for an hour or more before putting them back in the boot.

Do the same for my helmet. Kitchen towel to dry any excess sweat, and allow to air dry before storing away.

Elbow and knee guards go in the shower with me for a rinse off, ready for next session. The rest go in the wash-machine.

I haven't had any blisters from skating yet, though I was reading on it yesterday. I came across this article on blisters, how to treat them and which socks to wear. Researchers found some socks perform worse than others. It seems all-cotton socks perform the worst when sweating. The best performing were nylon or synthetic blend. Cheaper socks performed as well as expensive ones.



The main job of the sock is to draw moisture away from the foot. Cotton socks don't do this, as they tend to hold moisture.
"We found that 100 percent cotton socks were usually the worst especially when a person started to sweat," 
The team also found that money doesn't matter. The higher priced socks did not test any better than the inexpensive brands. The material that composed the sock is the key. All cotton performed poorly while nylon fared much better.
The benefits of the research are not aimed solely at athletes. The students said the research can help diabetics and those who wear prosthetic devises. 
To summarize, if you are getting blister:

  • Use synthetic or nylon socks
  • Don't use cotton socks
  • Don't use old, worn, thinning socks
  • Check for seams or stitching that's chaffing
  • Take extra socks on long skates

Done!