Thrifty Transport

Cheap Get To

The inline skate idea was another effort on the path to total thrift.

I calculated I spend around £2,000 a year on transport (bus and train) to get to and from work, which is only a few miles from home. I checked the possibility of doing the walk on foot. Its too far and would take over an hour. An hours walk at the end of a 12 hour day? I don't think so.

I got thinking about other modes of transport. Bicycle? No. Not me. Skateboard? No. Not me. Skates? Yes.

The more I thought about it, the more sense it made. A pair of quality inline skates cost £150. I get additional daily exercise, its fun, and I get to keep £1,850.

I probably won't get to keep the full £1,850, as I'll need to buy new bearings, wheels, safety equipment, (wrist, knee, elbow guards and helmet), and maybe additional clothing for skating in the cold or wet. I reckon £300 will cover it. The balance of £1,700 will go into my savings account.

Who needs a car, bicycle or London Transport, when you have skates?