Krill Oil

The Cons Keep Coming
I don't eat fish. I'd like to, but the taste makes me puke. Fish contains a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, which are particularly good for ya. But that fishy flavour makes me vomit. I'd like to get more omega-3, but I can't. Problem.

What's the solution?

After some research, digging and other nefarious activities, I may have it. It seems scientists recently discovered a wonderful nautical organism, called the Krill.

Krill live in arctic waters and provide lunch for whales and other large sea going mammals. As you probably know, any fish living in cold waters produce natural oils to protect themselves from the cold.  The cold water fish, produce oils containing a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, which are extremely good for us land dwellers.

Krill being a crustacian also produce a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, but, here's the rub, Krill oil does not produce that horrible fish taste or fish burpees you get after swallowing a cod-liver-oil capsule.

But wait there's more. It would appear the omega-3 fatty acids in Krill oil are 48 times more potent than fish oil. Krill oil contains high levels of DHA and EPA. As an added bonus it also contains astaxanthin.

The omega-3 in krill oil differ from fish oil, as they are bonded to phospholipids. The phospholipids in krill make for easy absorption by the body.

Pure krill oil, contains a minimum of 40% phospholipids. That's around 400mg per 1,000mg or 200mg per 500mg. If your krill oil capsules do not match this ratio, its not pure krill. Its been cut with fish oil.

I searched on Amazon and a few other places and came across krill oil capsules by Hellenia. I read the customer reviews, most of which were fairly positive, getting 4 out of 5 stars. I noticed there was no product info. No ingredient info. Nothing on EPA/DHA, or astaxanthin.

The product was reasonably priced at £20 for 180 caps, so I went ahead and purchased. I had seen other more pricey products, but was reluctant to pay more till I understood what I was buying.

When the product arrived, ingredient info on the pack said: Arctic Krill Oil 500mg, Astaxanthin 40ug, Omega-3 24%, Omega-6 4%, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Gelatin Shell.

EPA 60mg
DHA 27mg

The product gives no indication of phospholipid content. Omega-3 content is on the low side, it should be minimum 30%. The EPA is slightly low, it should be around 150mg per 1,000mg or 75mg per 500mg, depending on capsule size. DHA is very low. DHA should hit 90mg per 1,000mg or 45mg per 500mg caps. Astaxanthin is almost non-existent. Should sit at between 1.5mg up to 10mg per 1,000mg.

The product is not pure krill, its been 'cut' with fish oil. I noticed the capsules had a lemon flavouring, I guess to kill any fishy smell or taste. After taking I took two pills, there's no fishy taste. No fishy burpees. No fishy aftertaste.

This is my first foray into krill, and I learned a lot. I will not buy this product again. Next time, I'll pay more and get a better product with pure krill, more phospholipids, higher EPA/DHA, and a whole lot more astaxanthin.

You have to start somewhere.

I hate fish. I hate the taste of fish. I tried taking fish oil capsules. No way. Yuck. Fish taste with burpees? No thanks.

Done!