Possessed

Voodoo
Following on from my previous post, and the events I experienced with my aunt. I couldn't help but notice the change in her character when she was upset. This got me thinking about the emotions that possess us.

She had a misplaced belief about her air purifiers, even though they did little or nothing to improve air quality. But her belief was steadfast. Immovable. Unshakable.

When we carry these "unshakable" beliefs, they become a part of "me". And if any body threatens these beliefs, they threaten "me". That's why people will sometimes kill for their beliefs. Its almost as though, "I am" my beliefs, and if you destroy them, you destroy me.

Therefore, I will kill you, or at least attack you, insofar as I need to, so I can defend my beliefs. Ultimately defending me.

This may seem crazy, but dig a little deeper. Fundamentalists of all persuasion, kill for their beliefs.

Examples:
  • Muslims suicide bombers kill innocents.
  • KKK kill innocent blacks.
  • Catholics kill protestants.
  • Communists kill Capitalists.
  • Capitalists kill Communists.
  • Fascists kill Jews.
  • Jews kill Arabs.
How else can you explain such attrocities?

The problem with beliefs is they change. They are slippery. Without foundation.
  • 500 years ago, every one believed the earth was flat
  • If you sailed to the edge, you would fall off into space
  • The sun revolved around the earth
  • Heaven was just above earth
You can cling to those beliefs, but it creates a problem. Disharmony. You're out of tune with Nature and mankind.

The crazy thing is that many of us still do it. My crazy aunt still believes her air purifiers work and that when she dies she will go to heaven and sit at the right hand of god. She cant sit still for 5 minutes, without some distraction. How she's gonna sit at the right hand of god for eternity with no TV, no newspaper or any other form of distraction. I have no idea.

Its a crazy notion but thats what she believes.

I guess that's the problem with beliefs. Only the believer needs to believe in them.