SBCL & CLISP

List Processing

There are a number of Common Lisp implementations available, but two that frequently show up are are, Steel Bank Common Lisp and Gnu Clisp. I have used both and often install and switch usage between them.

Lisp is quite an old programming language compared to many newer in-vogue prog-lang.

Installing SBCL is pretty easy if you run Debian. As root open an XTerm and do:

# aptitude search sbcl
p   cl-clx-sbcl - X11 CLisp client library for SBCL
p   sbcl        - A CLisp compiler and dev system
p   sbcl-doc    - Docs for Steel Bank Common Lisp
v   sbcl-fasl-loader-78 -
p   sbcl-source - Source code files for SBCL
# aptitude install cl-clx-sbcl sbcl sbcl-doc

Moments later you have SBCL installed and running.

Installing GNU Clisp is just as easy.

# aptitude search clisp
p clisp     - GNU CLISP, CLisp implementation
p clisp-dev - GNU CLISP, CLisp implementation (dev)
p clisp-doc - GNU CLISP, CLisp implementation (docs)
v clisp-fasl-loader-20080430
# aptitude install clisp
$ clisp

  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Welcome to GNU CLISP 2.48 (2009-07-28)
(c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
(c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
(c) Bruno Haible, P.Bernardi S.Steingold 1998
(c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
(c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 2001-2009
Type :h and hit Enter for context help.

[1] >

You are now the proud owner of GNU Clisp!

Done.