Gnome USB Automount Fail

Mount 'Em Up

I ran with LXDE for a while but honestly, I found it a little buggy. Though I dont use the file manager often, I found it crashed, hung and froze a number of times. It even caused Xorg to lock up.

To alleviate the problem, I did ps -e | grep pcmanfm. Once I had the process number I terminated it with extreme prejudice.

# kill -9 process-number

This kills the process thats causing the lock up.

Sure, I like light and fast, but I prefer things to work. When they don't...

I guess given time LXDE will come good. Till then...

I un-installed LXDE and re-installed Gnome. I dont much like Gnome its fat, slow, bloated and I use few of its features. But it is stable (mostly). Grudgingly its back to Gnome.

Now I find autofs, the USB automount feature has stopped working. So here's a temporary solution.

Fire up an XTerm and do:

dmesg | grep Attached

Displays attached devices. Should be somehting like:

[475716.401459] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk

[sdc]identifies the device. As root, create a mount point for your USB memory stick:

mkdir /mnt/usb

Mount the usb memstick:

mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb

Option -t is type file system we are attaching.

Device is now mounted. If you cd to /mnt/usb you will find your memstick contents.

Note its sdc1 not sdc.

Done!