After a recent clean install of Debian and LXDE, I tried to install Chrome browser with no luck. I went to Chrome download site and pulled down the latest *.deb file for a 64-bit system.
When I tried to install using aptitude or dpkg, the system would have none of it. I googled and found instructions on one of the forums.
Suggestions included using the Google repository. This required adding the following to /etc/apt/sources.list
Update aptitude package list
As a security measure, the system would not pull download and install any software till Google Chrome servers were authenticated. This required installing a key:
wget -q -O https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add -
It took a few attempts before the key was finally and added.
Next I added the key to Gnupg keyring:
There was a long pause while GnuPG connected with the key server and downloaded the key.
gpg: requesting key 7FAC5991 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: key 7FAC5991: public key "Google, Inc. Linux Package Signing Key
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1
Once the key was on the keyring, I could download software from Google Chrome servers without complaints.
aptitude install google-chrome-stable
Or if you want to run the testing version.
aptitude install google-chrome-unstable
This may be a little buggy still.
In minutes Chrome was up and running. And damn quick it is too.
Previous Chrome extensions slowed the browser down to a crawl. This time, the only extension I add is adblock.
* * *